Vieiro is situated in the North of the council of São Pedro do Sul, which belongs to the joint parishes of Covas do Rio e São Martinho das Moitas, on the Southern slopes of the valley of the Deilão river (40º54’18,42’’ N 8º06’51,01’’W). The area comprises 25.9 ha, with hills of 330 to 600 m, and a gradient of approximately 35 to 50%. The property is part of the Natura 2000 network – SCI “River Pava” (PTCON0059).
The management of this property was transferred to MONTIS through an agreement with Altri Florestal (proprietary company) for a period of ten years starting in May 2015.
- Common oak (Quercus robur)
- Common alder (Alnus glutinosa)
- Common ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
- Acacia (Acacia dealbata)
- Hakea (Hakea sericeae)
- Pine tree (Pinus pinaster)
- Chestnut (Castanea sativa)
- Purpleosier willow (Salix salviifolia)
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus sp.)
- European robin (Erithacus rubecula)
- Great tit (Parus major)
The property has responded well to a 2016 fire. The main challenge is the spread of invasive species, namely Hakeas.
The main objectives are:
- To support natural processes
- To control invasive species
- To promote the growth of native species
- To guarantee condition for public use
- To increase the value of natural assets