Baldio de Carvalhais
The property of Baldio de Carvalhais has 100 ha managed by MONTIS since May 2015 through an agreement with the joint parishes of Carvalhais and Candal. The property was damaged by fire in the summer of 2010. A small area outlined mainly by rural paths in the property of Baldio de Carvalhais was included in the Natura 2000 network (PTCON0047) and ZIF 114/07 – Carvalhais.
The property is located within the joint parishes of Carvalhais and Candal, S. Pedro do Sul (40º 48’30.51’’ N; 8º 07’29.15’’O), on the Southern slopes of Serra da Arada, with hills ranging from 580 to 830 m, with a downward gradient of 30%.
The terrain is rugged, very rocky, and with many areas of granite outcrops. In addition, the property is crossed by several perennial water lines.
- Broom (Cytisus sp.)
- Gorse (Ulex europaeus)
- Heather (Erica arborea)
- “Carqueja” (Pterospartum tridentatum)
- Common oak (Quercus robur)
- Pyrenean oak (Quercus pyrenaica)
- Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo)
- Downy birch (Betula pubescens)
- Maritime pine (Pinus pinaster)
- Wild boar (Sus scrofa)
- Genet (Genetta genetta),
- Red fox (Vulpes vulpes),
- Egyptian mongoose (Herpestes ichneumon),
- Jay (Garrulus glandarius),
- European robin (Erithacus rubecula),
- Blackbird (Turdus merula)
- Great tit (Parus major)
- Iberian frog (Rana iberica)
The objectives of the management for this property are:
- To support natural processes
- To ensure the conditions for public use
- To increase its resilience against natural risks
- Support actions
There is a controlled fire plan for this property, targeted at 50 ha with the intention to create a mosaic landscape and opportunities for the property management to increase its conservation and biodiversity.